Monday, May 23, 2011

Weekly Practice

In preperation for weekly practice.  I ran all my reloads through a Lee factory crimp die.  This seemed to help a lot but I still had some problems with failure to go fully into battery and rounds that were difficult to extract.

Tonight's course of fire had two silhouettes and two small steels on the right at 10 yards.  Then you ran 15 yards to the second box and engaged two more silhouettes and two large steels at 10 yards on the right.  My firt run was about 20 seconds.  My second was 14.  By the end of the night I was under twelve.  Accuracy improved on every run.  A very good night of practice!

Total rounds tonight: 200
Total through the gun: 400

I did clean the gun after tonight's practice.  I know what you are thinking:  What about the 2000 round challenge?

Well there are three major reasons:
1.  I shoot lead.  Leading the barrel isn't the norm for a defensive handgun.
2.  I don't like to depend on a gun that isn't in tip top shape.  Cleaning the gun makes sure that I don't end up having a gummed up gun when I need it most.
3.  I like cleaning my gun!  I know very CDO of me (alphabetical order, duh). 

Tonight's cleaning was pretty basic.  I ran a dry patch on a jag through twice to pull out the lead.  Wiped the rails down to check for wear.  Brushed the breach face and chamber area.  Stripped all three mags because they all hit the dirt tonight.  Relubed and put it all back together.  Total time, about 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment