Sunday, May 22, 2011

Range Time

Well, after careful measurements it is obvious that this gun has  a tight, but standard chamber.  Even one ten thousands over will cause the round to hang up.  Fortunately the Lee Factory Crimp Die will bring the rounds into spec without much trouble.  I"ve backed the crimp part of the Die all the way out.  Because I shoot mostly lead rounds, crimps can be very problematic as they will have a tendency to undersize the round.  This is just to take the 'Glock' bulge out of the case.

In 200 rounds I had:
1.  Squib load.  Very embarrassing.
 a.  Two failure to enter battery.  A light tap solved the problem.  These were on rounds that I didn't factory crimp.
2.  Three failures to lock back using magazine number three.  Hopefully it will settle out.
3.  Awesome little one inch groups at 15 yard.  On a couple, all five rounds were touching.  And this load is just my generic 135pf USPSA load.
4.  Rapid fire kept everything in the 8 ring without any trouble at all.  The gun comes back on target quickly and without any drama.  It appears that I'm pushing to the left a touch in rapid fire.  Probably because this trigger is so much closer to the grip than I'm used to.  It's a trigger to die for and I won't change a thing.

Other thoughts.
I've been shooting enough iron sight rifle stuff to be irritated with the "combat sight picture."  For those of you who haven't heard that term, with a defensive handgun you simply place the front sight right where you want the hole and if you've gotten everything else right, that's where the hole will be.  I really prefer the six o'clock sight picture, where you place the target right on top of the front sight.  When shooting for defense it's much easier to cover the target, but when checking loads, or trying to get feedback on fundamentals, a six o'clock hold is better.  I may get a taller rear, or adjustable rear to make it shoot the way I want.  I wanted to get some Warren Tatical sights anyway.  :)

Normally I'd require  a lot more rounds down range before a gun goes in the carry holster.  But normally a gun doesn't shoot this well right out of the box.  This Sig is everything I wanted it to be, but I didn't expect it to be this good, this fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment