Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Personalizing your weapon

In my limited experience, I've owned the following pistols:
Ruger P95
Kel-Tec PF-9 (2)
Sig P239
S&W SD9
Sig P226

I've had that P95 going on fifteen years now.  About the only things I did to it was adding a Hugh slip on grip, which I removed and buying a cheap nylon pancake holster.  Junk.  It's been a good gun, I just never really loved it.  A great gun if you want something that will shoot forever and doesn't attract thieves.

The Kel-Tecs got treated a little better.  Kel-Tecs are kit guns.  The moldings aren't very smooth and you spend some time making them better.  I bought an armalaser RSS, and two custom leather holsters.  But these are work guns.  Designed to disappear no matter what you are wearing.  Cute, but not lust worthy.

The P239 is IMO an ugly gun.  The two tone is nice I guess.  When I bought this gun, it came with everything.  Lasergrips, three nice holsters, ten magazines.  I really haven't had to do anything to it at all.  The previous owner had already gone to all the work.

The SD9 was an impulse purchase.  I didn't really need another 9mm, but the price was just too good.  It got a couple of holsters.  I blacked the rear sights.  But there wasn't anything else to do.  It's handsome as plastic guns go.  But I didn't shoot it that well.  I didn't like the way it pointed.  I sold it.  The first pistol I've ever done that with.

The P226 is another story.  It needs night sights.  It's brand new.  Nobody else has ever owned it.  I'd love to put stainless control levers on it to accentuate it's gorgeous black nature.  The new E2 lines are reminiscent of the CZ75.  It fits my hand as well as the Jericho 9mm.  I love the way the slide stop falls under my thumb.  With no shift in my grip, the force of inserting a magazine magically chambers the first round.  Here is a gun I can love.  It's big, it carries a lot of rounds.  It's going to get beautiful gun leather and possibly a tactical light.  Right now, this looks like the last pistol I will ever buy.  I love that I can get a .22 upper for it.  Or a .40 S&W.  If that isn't enough, .357sig.  Perhaps a P229 might find it's way into my gun cabinet.  But not before I've made this pistol my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment