Thursday, June 16, 2011

Local Match

I've got a USPSA match this weekend.  I didn't think I was going to go because we had a family camping trip planned.  Unfortunately the snow level is still at about 7000 feet and our proposed hike was going to take us up to 10k.  A great recipe for an adventure, not so much for a family camping trip.

The stages for this match look like fun.  A couple of them will start with the gun on a table unloaded.  I've never done a stage wear I didn't start from the holster.  Hopefully it won't mess me up to much.  I've been thinking about ammo all day.  Do I go with factory ammo?  Do I use the lead rounds that I used for steel last week?  Do a finally bite the bullet (so to speak) and work up a new load using Titegroup?

Well, the Titegroup option is out, the match is tomorrow and that doesn't leave me enough time for testing.  I think I'll build some with Titegroup tonight and work with them during the Monday night practice.

The leads performed well last week and I do have 300 of them on hand.  I'll probably run these as primary and have a 100 or so factory rounds in case I have problems.

Incidently the reason I want to work with Titegroup is the economy.  Titegroup is under $20 a pound and a charge for 9mm is like 5 grains or less.  That means at least 1500 rounds per pound.  That's a pretty dang good price per bullet.  The downsides?  It's a very small charge so you risk a double charge.  It's also a very tight range from minimum charge to maximum charge.  Typically less than half a grain.  There is no margin for error.  I think I'll do dinner and then do some slow and steady loading while weight each charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment