Wednesday, December 29, 2010

SD9 malfunction

Today I went to the range with just the SD9 to finish up it's 1000 round break in and to test some reloads.  My first ten round string had a lot of vertical stringing and was about two inches to the left.  That kind of bummed me out because those are both signs of fundamental flaws in my shooting, bad breath control and recoil anticipation.  I tried several more times but the groups just kept getting worse and worse.  After about thirty rounds I switched to a different reload as I figured that it must be an ammo problem.  It got worse, much worse.  I was so focused on my shooting and a suspected ammo problem that I completely failed to notice that the rear sight was loose and working it's way out of the dovetail.  After drifting it back into the middle of the slide and tightening the set screw everything came right back to normal.  Not the greatest day at the range as I wanted to work on reloads and holster presentation, but I did run 300 rounds downrange and found a weak spot to keep an eye on with this gun.

Shooting log summary:

1015 rounds total
300 rounds today

malf list:
3 failures to eject total - weak handloads
4 failures to lock back on last round total - weak handloads
2 failures to feed total - human error.
2 failures to feed today.  Both times failed round was slide release nose dive on a fresh magazine.  Hand racking the slide cleared both malfunctions.  Probably sloppy putting the last round into the magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment