Monday, February 15, 2010

New Holster

At the beginning of December I ordered a new holster from Side Guard Holsters for my Kel-Tec PF-9.  I already had a pocket holster I liked, and an IWB holster that was OK, but didn't fit with the Armalaser attached.  I decided that what I really wanted was a basic, OWB holster that would fit my gun with the laser attached.  There didn't seem to be anything off the shelf that really got the job done.  So I order this one.  I got mine with a 15 degree FBI cant as I like to wear my gun right behind my hip, say about 3:30 to 4.  The farther around behind your hip, the more important the cant of the holster becomes, without tilting, the butt of the gun ends up sticking out an printing no matter how heavy your cover garment is. 

The above the belt nature allows me to wear a shirt or sweatshirt that doesn't really look like it's to long for me.  It also reduces the chance that I'll flash my gun when reaching for my wallet.When the gun rides this high, the muzzle doesn't get pushed on by your hip, which in turn doesn't push the butt into your side.  Great for comfort, not so great for concealment.

Erik told me that the belt slots on this holster are critical for a good fit and concealment.  It's very important when ordering a holster that it match your belt width, otherwise the holster will move around and the gun won't be exactly where you expect it when you need it.  In the case of this holster, it's doubly important.  Erik also told me that it would be seven weeks before he could make my holster.  I have trouble waiting seven hours got new toys.  I'd rather pay extra to go pick it up today.  I resolved to forget that I ordred the holster at all.

Seven weeks passed like lightening.  Not really, I was actually sure that the end of the world would come first.  On first examination the holster is really a piece of industrial art.  There is no unnecessary leather, the stitching perfect, the boning is enough to hold the gun securely and yet no nooks for my shirt to hang up on.  Initial comfort was pretty good.  It took about two days for the leather against my side to soften up enough to feel like it was a part of me.  The gun rides beautifully tight.  The butt rides just under my rib cage, the muzzle rides even with the bottom of my belt.  No part of the muzzle protrudes below the bottom edge of the holster.  This holster is everything I wanted and needed in an OWB holster.  Recommended.  Next, a IWB model, tuckable I think....

No comments:

Post a Comment